Moving to a New Era of Digitization with Interactive e-Books
Established in 1534, the client is one of the largest university presses in the world. It has a presence on six continents and publishes over 45,000 titles by authors from 100 countries.
Content is accepted in various digital means today, and interactive e-books are one such medium that provides exciting experience by converting plain books to e-books. The client wanted to move toward this digitization that made the publishing process easy, interesting, and responsive. Lumina Datamatics with its domain expertise in developing e-books was commissioned to help the client fulfill its vision.
The client wanted to enhance its product line and create interactive e-books using ePub 3. Moreover, the client needed the e-books to be compatible with iPads, have easy functionality, have the same look and feel of the input file (fixed layout), maintain a simple user interface, and have interactive assessments with a data storage facility that could ultimately lead to faster conversion and publication.
- Making functionalities compatible with iPads
- Creating 350 exercises with user interaction in a shorter TAT
- Working within a fixed layout of ePub 3
- Creating templates for each and every activity within a given time frame
- Maintaining high-resolution images with reduced file size
- Different coding for assessing, storing, and retrieving user inputs
- Creating a large number of asset files
Solution and Approach
The client turned to Lumina Datamatics for its ability to convert data into dynamic digital content. Lumina Datamatics with its years of experience and a team of dedicated professionals partnered with the client to address its business challenges and continuously improve profitability.
Lumina Datamatics immediately devised a plan in accordance with time-sensitive nature of the project:
- Converting content from PDF and other sources to e-books
- Adding interactive features to e-books
- Creating a template for similar type of exercises to reduce time
- Offering assessments of each activity with scores
- Special coding for storing and retrieving test entries
- Ensuring image quality without increasing the file size
- Validating every activity to ensure there was no repetition of the asset files
A team of designers ensured that all the functionalities worked properly and also high-resolution images are maintained on iPads. Each and every new activity was validated while implementing interactive activities to ensure that there was no duplication of asset files.